Tuesday, October 14, 2003

Averted disaster

After some major power spikes caused by the neighbours trying to clear away some damaged tree branches from the hurricane (which fell on the power line), I started having some problems with Windows freezing on me sometimes when a confirmation dialog box would try to appear. Really, the power spikes shouldn't have anything to do with it, since I'm on a UPS, but perhaps it was because of the rapid shutdowns I had to do because of it. At any rate, I tried to correct this new error by installing some Windows updates. When those didn't work, I tried reinstalling Windows. That's where the trouble began.

The shortest explanation is that the pre-service-pack Windows was no longer able to handle the full capacity of my 160GB drive, so Scandisk tried to "correct" it. This resulted in a bunch of corruption, but after I reinstalled the service packs and ran Scandisk again, it repaired the damage. Nothing was lost. But just like the last time this sort of thing happened, I'm in the process of backing up a bunch of stuff. Anyone who has recordable CD or DVD capability, I highly recommend saving your work!

Anyway, despite the lack of notes saying so, work continues on s04-c07.

No comments:

Post a Comment